- 1 ½ Local Village tiger nut flour
- 2 tbsp Local Village raw cacao
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 100g whole dried dates
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, prepare a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Place the dates in a bowl with boiling water, cover to steam for 5 minutes.
3. In a food processor pulse together the tiger nut flour, cacao, bicarb and salt.
4. Drain the water from the dates, keeping the liquid to adjust consistency. Add the dates to the food processor along with the coconut oil. Pulse until the mixture comes together. Adjust with date water if the mixture is too dry and does not come together.
5. Transfer the dough to the baking tray. Roll the dough out into an oval, about 5mm thick. Use a chef's knife to cut into 2cm squares. Bake for 15 minutes. Check as the edges will brown quickly. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the tray before removing. Break apart the squares and store in a zip-top bag or container.
6. To serve, enjoy with warm or cold tiger nut milk.
Tigernut flour is perfect for this type of cereal, once the cereal squares are infused with the tiger nut milk, the squares become slightly softer but retain a chewy texture from the nutty tiger nut flour.
TIPS & TOPPING SUGGESTIONS
Using fresh dates? Omit to soak in water. Add the dates straight to the blender with 2 tbsp milk or boiling water. Continue with the recipe as per usual.