- 3 medium bananas, preferably overripe
- 2 ½ cups Local Village plantain flour
- ½ cup sugar (coconut sugar works great too)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Oil for frying
- Mocha caramel
- 1 espresso shot
- 1 cup sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 cup cream (you can use coconut cream)
1. Peel the bananas and place in a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher or fork to form a paste, a few lumps may still be visible.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients into the bowl except the oil. Mix until just combined to form a batter. The batter should be stiff enough to scoop and hold form.
3. Place the oil in a medium saucepan and set to medium heat around 180C.
4. Place tablespoonfuls of the batter into the pan, if you have a small cookie scoop, use it to drop the batter into the oil. Do not overcrowd the pan. Let the fritters cook until golden about 45 seconds to 1 minute on each side.
5. Flip to the other side and let them cook until golden. Remove and place on a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Repeat the process with the rest of the batter.
6. For the mocha caramel, place all the ingredients in a saucepan while slowly heating up while stirring until the sugar has dissolved and come to a slow simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes on low heat. Set aside to cool down. Drizzle the caramel over the fritters before serving.
Makes 12-15 fritters