- 1 ¼ cups gluten-free flour mix
- ¼ cup Local Village teff flour
- 1 cup full cream yoghurt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Seed sprinkle: 1 tbsp poppy seeds or sesame seeds
- To serve
- Red pickled onions (recipe below), dill, cream cheese, cucumber ribbons
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, teff flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and yoghurt. Mix well, until fully combined and a ball of dough remains about 2-3 minutes.
3. Slice the dough into 4 even pieces. Use your hands to roll the dough into a sausage shape. You might need to lightly flour your surface with gluten-free flour. Join both ends of the dough to form a bagel shape. Place on the lined tray and repeat until 4 bagels are formed. Lightly brush the tops of each bagel with either butter, egg, milk or water. Sprinkle the seeds on top.
4. Bake the bagels for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Store in the fridge for 3 days or slice and freeze.
5. To assemble, slice the bagel in half, smear with cream cheese. Top with cucumber ribbons, pickled red onions, and dill. Add ham, salmon or any other toppings of your choice.
TIPS & TOPPING SUGGESTION
Gluten-free flour, this recipe works best by using a flour already containing xanthan gum.
For quick pickle red onions: Finely slice the red onions and place in an airtight container. Heat 2 tbsp water, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp sugar (or sweetener of choice: honey, xylitol etc), and ½ tsp salt. Pour over the red onion, close the container and allow it to stand for 10 minutes.