- 2 ½ cups Local Village sorghum, cooked until tender
- 2 carrots, peeled, and grated
- 1 onion, diced
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 cup rocket, chopped
- 1 tsp, garlic, grated
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp coriander, optional
- Cracked Black pepper
- 1 heaped tbsp Local Village sorghum flour
- 3-4 tbsp Olive oil
1. One day ahead, follow the Local Village packaging instructions to soak & cook the sorghum grain.
2. On the day, sauteé the onion in a frying pan for 5-8 minutes until translucent and soft. Stir in the grated carrots, seasoning and spices. Add 3 tbsp of water to help the process along. Cover to cook for 3 minutes, stirring in between.
3. Place the cooked sorghum, onion mixture and rocket in a food processor and pulse until the grains are chopped for about 20 seconds.
4. Divide mixture into 6 portions, press and form into patties. Place on a plate to chill until firm, about 30 minutes or overnight.
5. To fry, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Gently lay the patties into the frying pan and fry on one side for 2-3 minutes until golden brown and crisp, flip and cook for another 3 minutes.
6. Transfer cooked cakes to a prepared sheet and keep a warm oven set to 150C. Repeat with remaining cakes with additional oil.
7. Serve as a vegetarian hamburger or with a fresh salad.
TIPS & TOPPING SUGGESTIONS - Store cakes in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 5 days. - Make these for standby - Shape the patties and freeze, remove and defrost once you are ready to cook them. We suggest serving the patties with a tzatziki dip or hummus